Every now and then, I need to touch cloth. I will use this space to show my play with cloth and tell my thoughts while stitching.

I will only use unwanted clothing, cast offs, remnants, unfinished WIPs, cloth napkins, table cloths, curtains, and my stash which is pretty extensive.

I also intend to ramble randomly about anything that might come to mind. My rambles may be long or short or with photos only.

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Wishing Stars


Wish Number One

Dear Timothy,
I was inspired to add three wishing stars to your cloth. The thing is, I couldn't visualize what the stars would look like nor where to put them. 

Thinking I would add three small stars to the Jungle somewhere, I thought to rummage in the box of small scraps that I keep handy.  

Three Wishes.

Imagine my surprise when I discovered these three stars in the box. I had forgotten all about them. And if I had remembered, I would not have had a clue where to look for them. I put them in the box in the first place because I wanted to incorporate them in your quilt. Up to now, I could not visualize where to include them. 
I can't be for sure who pieced these stars. That is I'm not sure if it was one of your great grandmothers or my Granny. My Granny is your great great grandmother. What I do know is I made myself a top with the red, white and blue cloth in the middle star. And I recognize the plaids in the other two stars. I can see my Mother in those blouses as if it were yesterday. 

These three stars are beautifully hand pieced and near 50 years old. Serendipity is an odd feeling. These stars were just waiting for me as if I would know what to do with them when the time came

And I did. I knew immediately. I pieced the three stars together, called them wishing stars and included them on the backside where the traditional log cabin quilt pattern is growing. A perfect place for these vintage, four-point stars. 

Never stop wishing Tim. Wishes can come true. 

6 comments:

  1. I so enjoyed reading this and the history of family and the love that you are putting into Tim's quilt.
    It is a true treasure:)
    Merry Christmas.
    Your blogging sister, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having found your wonderful blog just recently, I just had to go back to the beginning of Tim's quilt...quite a story and quite a quilt...love your work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chip, So nice that you went back to the beginning. If I ever finish this slow cloth, I plan to make a blog book to give to Tim with the cloth. Many of the details and thoughts I have during stitching would be lost otherwise.

      Delete
  3. Serendipity is indeed a grand thing! Another great story added to this quilt...love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Nancy, I'm always so surprised by it. And I always so amazed how things don't happen until it is time.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and Thank You for stopping in!